The vehicle you choose will give you the option to choose your route. For example, if you chose a tiny Citroen 2CV you might be limited to paved roads however if you chose a fully equipped 4wd vehicle, your options are endless.
Every type of vehicle has been used for an overland journey... except perhaps a funeral hearse!
You might want to consider a TukTuk, a tractor, an Ural sidecar or even a Rolls Royce - all have pros and cons. Here's our guide to choosing your vehicle:
- Fiat Ducato - A van available in 2WD (also known as Peugeot Boxer, Citroen Jumper).
- Ford Transit - A van available in 2WD and 4WD (aftermarket 4x4 in USA by Quigley and Quadvan)
- Hyundai H1 - A van available in 2WD.
- Iveco Daily - A van available in 2WD and 4WD.
- Mercedes TN/T1 - A van available in 2WD.
- Mercedes Sprinter - A van available in 2WD and 4WD (aftermarket 4x4 in Europe by Achleitner, Oberaigner and Iglhaut, aftermarket 4x4 in USA by Whitefeather)
- Mercedes Vario - A van available in 2WD and 4WD (also known as Mercedes 814, Mercedes 815).
- Renault Master - A van available in 2WD and 4WD ((aftermarket 4x4 in Europe by Oberaigner)
- Toyota HiLux - A pickup truck available in 2WD and 4WD versions.
- Toyota HiAce - A van available in 2WD.
- Volkswagen Transporter (T4) - A van available in 2WD.
- Volkswagen Transporter (T5) - A van available in 2WD.
- Volkswagen Transporter (T6) - A van available in 2WD and 4WD (camper van version known as "California")
Types of vehicles in this category:
- Jeep Cherokee - Successor to Jeep Wagoneer, produced until 1974.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee - Mid-size luxury SUV produced since 1993.
- Jeep Wrangler - 4WD offroad vehicle produced since 1987.
- Lada Niva - Classic small Russian offroad vehicle produced from 1974 to 2009.
- Land Rover Defender - Classic offroad vehicle produced from 1948 to 2015.
- Land Rover Discovery - Mid-size luxury SUV produced since 1989.
- Range Rover - Offroad vehicle produced since 1970.
- Mercedes G-Class - A luxury SUV, also known as G-Wagen.
- Mercedes Unimog - Mercedes AWD medium-duty truck produced since 1946.
- Mitsubishi Pajero - SUV produced since 1982.
- Nissan Patrol - Large utilitarian 4x4 produced since 1951.
- Steyr Pinzgauer - High-mobility all-terrain military 4x4 and 6x6 offroad vehicle.
- Toyota Land Cruiser - Classic Japanese offroad vehicle produced in many series since 1951.
- BMW GS
- Triumph Tiger
- Honda 650R
- Honda Africa Twin
Unusual Overland Vehicles
- Stephen Stewart: Choosing an Overland Campervan at xor.org.uk.
- Series "4WD a Must?": Part 1 – Driving from Europe to Southeast Asia, Part 2 – Driving in South America, Part 3 – Do we Consider a Different Vehicle – Landcruising Adventure
- Top Ten Used Overland Vehicles (Expedition Portal, 2011)
- Best Overland Vehicles (Gear Patrol, 2016)
- Top Ten Must-Haves for Your Overland Vehicle (Adventure Portal, 2016)
- The Ten Best Used Vehicles For Exploring the World (Jalopnik, 2015)
- How to Build the Ultimate Overland Vehicle for Less Than $10,000 (Outside, 2016)