Overland Honduras Travel
Currency to display:
Entering Honduras with a Car or Motorbike
Correct as of: April 2012
This border is notorious for corrupt officers who will ask for whatever paperwork they feel like on any given day. Your experience will probably differ from what is below, so come prepared with lots of copies of everything.
- Passport of registered owner (original and 3 copies).
- Vehicle registration (original and 3 copies).
- Drivers license of registered owner (original and 3 copies).
- 3 more copies of the owner's Passport, clearly showing the Honduras immigration stamp and the entry payment receipts.
Process at border
(For people, see Honduras Visa and Passport requirements at the World Travel Guide)
Again, this will vary from day to day depending on the mood of the officer on duty.
The process is described very clearly at Through Honduras in one day|PanAm Notes (also available to download in pdf format).
NOTE: You may encounter locals offering to help you with paperwork to get across the border. See Border Crossing Helpers for advice.
Cost of entry
Again, it depends. Expect to pay, roughly:
- $3.00 USD per person for entry
- Payment of $35.00 USD for vehicle permit
Permitted length of stay
Honduras is part of the CA-4 Border control agreement. This agreement grants travel between Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua for a TOTAL of 90-days. The number of days remaining on your CA4 is written in your passport as you travel from country to country. The 90-day limit begins when you enter any country that is part of the CA4 agreement. To avoid penalty and fines, Exit the CA4 countries and enter into Costa Rica or Mexico/Belize before the 90-days limit expires.
Extension of stay
Describe the process to extend the permitted length of entry for the vehicle, if possible.
Storing a vehicle and temporarily leaving the country
Describe if/how a vehicle can be stored, and for how long.
Also mention if the owner / temporary importer can leave the country while the vehicle is in storage.
Exiting with a vehicle
- The registered owner presents the temporary import paper to customs.
- The registered owner is stamped out of Honduras at immigration.
Driving in Honduras
Insurance is not required in Honduras
Cost of insurance
Where to purchase insurance
Technically an International Driving Permit is required.
In reality, showing a license from anywhere in the world seems to be good enough.
Driving side of road
Right hand drive vehicles are permitted without problem.
Mandatory items in vehicle
The Police and Military will absolutely try to bribe you if you do not have the following:
- 2 safety triangles
- A fire extinguisher
General Road quality
Roads in Honduras vary greatly. The Pan American is paved and good quality for the length of the country. Lesser roads are gravel and can be very bumpy and rutted.
Road signs are mostly common, but can not be relied upon.
Bribery in Honduras
Honduras is probably the most corrupt country on the Pan American Highway, and you will almost certainly encounter bribery attempts by the Police and military. Many Overlanders have special stories about how common bribery is in Honduras, with most foreigners being stopped 5-10 times on the Pan American Highway alone.
See the bribery tips page for advice.
Police checkpoints are common in Honduras, especially on the Pan American Highway. You'll primarily be asked to show your Passport, Vehicle registration, drivers license, and the temporary import permit you were issued at the border. Depending on how official the checkpoint actually is, this is a perfect bribery opportunity for the police/military.
Traveling with pets
List the entry requirements and anything else required to travel with a pet.
Gas and Diesel price in Honduras
Last updated: (last updated date)
Currency and unit to display:
|Diesel (low sulfur)||??|
- Price Information: gasoline-germany.com - International Gas / Petrol / Diesel prices - Honduras (not updated since 2008)
Gas and Diesel Availability / Frequency
Gasoline is common along the Pan American Highway.
Gas and Diesel Quality
Safety and Security Considerations
Driving at night
Driving at night is absolutely not recommended in Honduras, due to safety considerations.
Find a secure parking lot to park for any length of time. Price unknown.
Special driving considerations
Bribery, bribery, bribery.
Security advisories and information
- Country Specific Information - U.S. Department of State
- Travel Reports and Warnings - Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
- Travel advice by country - Foreign and Commonwealth office (U.K.)
- Travel Advice for Honduras - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Camping in Honduras
Camping is not popular in Honduras and roadside camping is not recommended.
Camping guide books
Tap water in Honduras is not safe to drink.
Purchase maps before arriving, good ones are very difficult to find in Honduras.
GPS Maps of Honduras
- Open Street Map: Appears to have good coverage.
- Garmin: Apparently no map of Honduras.
- TomTom: No map of Honduras. 
GPS co-ordinates for camping, propane, gas, repairs, etc. in Honduras
- Camping Sites: Honduras - Detailed list of campsites and propane filling with description, directions and GPS co-ordinates. Some at hotels (lists facilities and price), some roadside and free.
- Central America Camping Locations - List of campsites, with basic directions and GPS co-ordinates. Mostly free sites.
- Camping Log 1: Central America - List of campsites, shopping, fuel, propane and border crossings with excellent descriptions and GPS co-ordinates.
- White Acorn camping log page - GPS co-ordinates and excellent description of campsites]
Special Overland Travel interests
Travel Guide Books
4x4s / Trucks
- Toyota Global Dealer Locator
- Land Rover International Dealer Locator
- Mercedes Benz International (select country on bottom right)
- Jeep International site locator
Add known good mechanics here.
Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Honduras
Describe how a foreigner can buy a vehicle. List any difficulties or limitations on where the vehicle can be driven.
Describe how a foreigner can sell a foreign-plated vehicle, or list not possible.'
- Honduras: Visa and Passport requirements | World Travel Guide
- Health Information for Travelers to Honduras - Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Honduras travel guides at wikivoyage
- Honduras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Honduras Overland | Overland Sphere Overland travelers currently in Honduras