Overland Albania Travel
| WikiOverland is growing. We only have Gas and Diesel prices for Albania right now.
If you know more about Albania, please update the sections below by clicking edit.
Currency to display:
- 1 Visiting Albania
- 2 Entering Albania with a Car or Motorbike
- 3 Driving in Albania
- 4 Gas and Diesel price in Albania
- 5 Safety and Security Considerations
- 6 Camping in Albania
- 7 Navigation
- 8 Special Overland Travel interests
- 9 Vehicle Maintenance
- 10 Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Albania
- 11 References
- 12 Helpful External links
Give a brief overview of what it's like to visit. How easy is the border, how safe is the country, are there great things to see and do, etc.
Entering Albania with a Car or Motorbike
Correct as of: (date last confirmed correct)
(To check if you need a travel Visa for Albania, application instructions and fees see: Albania Visa online application at VisaHQ.com)
List the paperwork required to enter with a vehicle, including number of copies
-July 2017 late afternoon, border being semi-busy-
We entered from Montenegro at the southwest border entry @ "Hani i Hotit",
1. Directly drove up to the border shack and, without being asked, handed over the complete paper-bundle containing the following documents through the drivers window: -Passport -International Drivers License -Vehicle Registration -Vehicle Insurance (resp. a color-copy thereof) => non-European citizens might be in need of a visa, be sure to check that ahead with the embassy.
2. Elderly border agent then asked us where our convoy of 4 Jeeps was going, he then said it was very beautiful there and wished us happy travels. No problems whatsoever.
Heard from locals that whenever the border agents act strange and ask you specifically for the green vehicle insurance card, to put in 5€ and hand it to them, otherwise they might make you wait for hours.
With the language barrier you might complicate that bribing process when you hand over everything at once and they'd let you slip.
Actually you might be faster and keep all your cash during the busy hours at the main border crossings, rather than arriving at a remote one in the middle of the night with no one else present.
Cost of entry
State the cost for a vehicle to enter
Permitted length of stay
State the permitted length of entry for the vehicle
Extension of stay
Describe the process to extend the permitted length of entry for the vehicle, if possible.
Storing a vehicle and temporarily leaving the country
Describe if/how a vehicle can be stored, and for how long.
Also mention if the owner / temporary importer can leave the country while the vehicle is in storage.
Exiting with a vehicle
Describe the paperwork requirements and process at the border to exit.
Driving in Albania
Recommended books for Overlanding in Albania
Travel insurance for Albania
World Nomads offer the most flexible Travel Insurance at the best prices for multi-country / multi-year trips. You can buy, extend and claim online, even after you've left home.
Vehicle insurance requirements
Yes or No if insurance is mandatory, and what kind is acceptable.
Cost of vehicle insurance
State the price of insurance and a time period.
Where to purchase vehicle insurance
Describe where insurance can be purchased.
State the kind of driving licenses required. i.e. International Driving Permit.
Driving side of road
Unknown if RHD vehicles can be driven in Albania
Mandatory items in vehicle
State any mandatory items that must be carried in the vehicle. (i.e. safety triangle, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, etc.)
General Road quality
Give a brief description of the general road quality. Mention if one way streets are common.
Briefly describe the overall quality & existence of road signs for directions and hazards.
List the frequency and approximate price of toll roads.
Bribery in Albania
Briefly describe how common bribery is and whether it should be expected, and the best way to deal with it.
describe the frequency of checkpoints (police or military and what to expect.
Traveling with pets
List the entry requirements and anything else required to travel with a pet.
Gas and Diesel price in Albania
Last updated: October 2012
Currency and unit to display:
|Unleaded||€1.44 EUR per Liter|
|Diesel||€1.38 EUR per Liter|
Gas and Diesel Availability / Frequency
Briefly describe if gas shortages are known to occur.
Also state the approximate average distance between gas stations. This is a very rough estimate.
-As of July 2017-
No problem finding clean Gas and Diesel even for next gen engines everywhere. Generally there's more gas stations than citizens at times in Albania
Safety and Security Considerations
Driving at night
Discuss driving at night and if it should it be avoided. Mention why.
Discuss if vehicles can be parked on the street, if they are considered "safe" at night. If vehicles can not be parked on the street, list the other options that exist.
Special driving considerations
A List of special things to be careful of (i.e. Unsigned speed bumps, abnormal road rules, people or animals on the road, etc.).
List any roads that are not recommended to drive for safety or other security reasons.
Security advisories and information
- Country Specific Information - U.S. Department of State
- Travel Reports and Warnings - Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
- Travel advice by country - Foreign and Commonwealth office (U.K.)
- Travel Advice for Albania - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Camping in Albania
Describe if organized "pay" camping is common. List the facilities commonly found at these campsites.
List the approximate average price range of camping in organized campgrounds.
Also discuss the possibility of "wild" or "roadside" camping. How common is it? Is it considered safe, or a bad idea.
Camping guide books
List and link to books specifically for camping.
Describe if the regular tap water is safe to drink. If not, describe where safe water can be purchased and the approximate average price range.
Reise Know-How are amoung the best paper maps. Purchase paper maps before arriving in Albania
GPS Maps of Albania
Review different GPS companies, quality and coverage (Tomtom, Garmin, OSM, Tracks4Africa). (with links to each).
GPS co-ordinates for camping, propane, gas, repairs, etc. in Albania
- iOverlander is a website and iPhone application designed by Overlanders, for Overlanders. It contains GPS co-ordinates and reviews for camping, hotels, propane, water, mechanics, borders and much more.
Link to sites that have a list of GPS co-ordinates (or directions) for camping locations (including "wild" campsites), propane filling, gas stations, repair shops, places of interest, etc.
Special Overland Travel interests
List any special items / places that are popular with Overlanders
4x4s / Trucks
- Toyota Global Dealer Locator
- Land Rover International Dealer Locator
- Mercedes Benz International (select country on bottom right)
- Jeep International site locator
Add known good mechanics here.
Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Albania
Describe how a foreigner can buy a vehicle. List any difficulties or limitations on where the vehicle can be driven.
Describe how a foreigner can sell a foreign-plated vehicle, or list not possible.'
Links to the source of any information - blogs or discussion forums, etc.
Helpful External links
Add any helpful external links here.
- Albania: Visa and Passport requirements | World Travel Guide
- Health Information for Travelers to Albania - Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Albania travel guides at wikivoyage
- Albania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia