Overland Ecuador Travel
Currency to display:
 Entering Ecuador with a Car or Motorbike
Correct as of: January 2013
 Required Paperwork
- Passport of registered owner (original and one copy)
- Vehicle registration (original and one copy)
- Drivers license (original and one copy)
(NOTE:You do not require a Carnet de Passage to enter Ecuador. (That is outdated information around the web)
 Process at border
(For people, see Ecuador Visa and Passport requirements at the World Travel Guide)
- The owner of the vehicle gains entry at Immigration (Migración), usually with a tourist card, including a stamp in their Passport.
- The owner must show the new passport stamp, original vehicle registration and original Drivers license to Customs (Aduana).
- The owner is issued a temporary import permit for the vehicle.
 Cost of entry
 Permitted length of stay
 Extension of stay
Extensions were previously permitted, they are currently not permitted. To extend your stay, you must exit Ecuador and return. Be careful, however, Ecuador is one of the strictest countries in South America with regards to how much time foreigners are permitted to be in the country in a calendar year. Check carefully with immigration.
 Storing a vehicle and temporarily leaving the country
Out of ignorance I left my motorcycle twice,still within the 90 days. When I inquired about another mater at the consul in NYC, they were outraged that I had left the vehicle in Ecuador and demanded that I immediately return and remove it. 2 weeks later I did and had no problems at the border.
 Exiting with a vehicle
- The registered owner presents the temporary import paper to customs.
- The registered owner is stamped out of Ecuador at immigration.
 Driving in Ecuador
 Insurance requirements
Insurance is mandatory in Ecaudor, and Police will ask to see it. Like many South American countries, the insurance is called SOAT (Seguro Obligatorio Automóviles Transito). It is difficult, though not impossible to purchase because the vehicle will not be in the Ecuadorian computer system. SOAT is available only for one month or one year.
 Cost of insurance
Varies with the size of vehicle. Around $60.00 USD for three months for a 4x4. Third-party insurance for a camper costs $5.00 USD to $7.00 USD for one month.
 Where to purchase insurance
Ask around for "SOAT". Most insurance brokers in small towns only sell one-year insurances, it is more difficult to find a one-month contract only. Entering Ecuador from the north, the first possibility is: Colonial Seguro, Ibarra, at the roundabout with the mother monument, N 00°20’47.8’’ W 78°07’53.8’’. Coming from south, Colonial Seguro in Cuenca at the stadium (estadio) sells SOAT insurances, prolongations are possible: S 02°54’23.0’’ W 79°00’23.9’’.
 Driving license
Technically an International Driving Permit is required.
In reality, showing a license from anywhere in the world seems to be good enough.
 Driving side of road
Right hand drive vehicles are permitted without problem.
 Mandatory items in vehicle
 General Road quality
Roads in Ecuador vary greatly. Highways are all sealed and good quality. Small roads into the central highlands are cobblestone to prevent mud in the rainy season, and as such are extremely slow going. Gravel roads can be anywhere from very good to impassable mud-pits depending on the time of year.
 Road signs
Road signs are common on highways and in towns. It's usually not too difficult to find signage to get where you are going.
 Toll roads
The Pan American Highway is tolled through Ecuador. Expect to pay Error in price tag: The cost attribute must be specified. every 50km or so.
 Bribery in Ecuador
Police bribery does happen in Ecuador, though it's by no means rampant, so don't assume Police are always trying to bribe you.
See the bribery tips page for advice.
Police checkpoints are common in Ecuador. You will be asked to present your Passport, Vehicle registration, drivers license, the temporary import permit you were issued at the border and your SOAT insurance. Driving without the required SOAT insurance is a sure-fire way to encounter bribery.
 Traveling with pets
List the entry requirements and anything else required to travel with a pet.
 Gas and Diesel price in Ecuador
Last updated: January 2013
Currency and unit to display:
|Extra||$1.48 USD per Gallon (US)|
|Super||$2.10 USD per Gallon (US)|
|Diesel 2||$1.03 USD per Gallon (US)|
|Diesel Premium||$1.03 USD per Gallon (US)|
- Price Information: Petrol Commercial
 Gas and Diesel Availability / Frequency
Gas stations are extremely common in Ecuador, and shortages are not common. There is a law that limits the amount of gasoline you can purchase in one transaction to $10.00 USD when immediately next to the Colombian border. You can get around this by going to a couple of different gas stations.
 Gas and Diesel Quality
Gasoline and Diesel are generally thought of as good quality, especially when bought from the name-brand stations. The BTU value of diesel is lower than in other countries, and the sulfur content is unknown. Diesel is suspected to sometimes be dirty or mixed with water. Make sure to purchase "diesel filtrado".
 Safety and Security Considerations
 Driving at night
Driving at night generally regarded as safe enough. Quito and Guayaquil have some very rough neighborhoods and should be avoided at night.
 Vehicle parking
Parking vehicles on the street in smaller towns during the day is typically OK. Find a secure parking lot in big cities and at night. Cost is around $1.00 USD to $2.00 USD per night.
 Special driving considerations
 Security advisories and information
- Country Specific Information - U.S. Department of State
- Travel Reports and Warnings - Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
- Travel advice by country - Foreign and Commonwealth office (U.K.)
- Travel Advice for Ecuador - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
 Camping in Ecuador
Camping is not common or popular in Ecuador, and very few hostels in touristy areas have camping to cater for backpackers. A few of the larger parks and reserves allow camping for a nominal fee. Roadside camping is generally OK away from the large cities.
 Camping guide books
 Drinking water
Tap water in Ecuador is generally not safe to drink. Every corner store sells 1 and 2 liter bottles, and 20 Liter bottles can be purchased for approx. $6.00 USD
 Paper maps
The Military Geographical Institute in Quito sells a "tourist" road map with almost all roads marked for $4.00 USD. For a high quality road map, buy before you get to Ecuador.
 GPS Maps of Ecuador
- Open Street Map: Appears to have good coverage.
- Garmin: No map of Ecuador.
- TomTom: No map of Ecuador. 
 GPS co-ordinates for camping, propane, gas, repairs, etc. in Ecuador
- Camping Sites: Ecuador - Detailed list of campsites and propane filling with description, directions and GPS co-ordinates. Some at hotels (lists facilities and price), some roadside and free.
- Campsite Listing - South America | PanAm Notes - List of campsites, with directions and GPS co-ordinates. Some at hotels (lists facilities and price), some roadside and free.
- Andes Expedition camping Locations - List of campsites, with basic directions and GPS co-ordinates. Mostly free sites.
- Camping Log 2: South America - List of campsites, shopping, fuel, propane and border crossings with excellent descriptions and GPS co-ordinates.
- Hackney Travel SA Waypoints - Raw GPS data (in gdb or gpx format) for waypoints (including campsites, fuel, repairs, propane and more)
- The Silk Road Motocaravan Network - Raw GPS data for waypoints (camping, gas, propane, points of interest and more)
 Special Overland Travel interests
 Travel Guide Books
 Vehicle Maintenance
4x4s / Trucks
- Toyota Global Dealer Locator
- Land Rover International Dealer Locator
- Mercedes Benz International (select country on bottom right)
- Jeep International site locator
 Local Garages
Add known good mechanics here.
 Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Ecuador
A foreigner can buy, register and leave the country with an Ecuadorian vehicle. The exact details are unknown.
Describe how a foreigner can sell a foreign-plated vehicle, or list not possible.'
- Ecuador: Visa and Passport requirements | World Travel Guide
- Health Information for Travelers to Ecuador - Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Ecuador travel guides at wikivoyage
- Ecuador - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Ecuador Overland | Overland Sphere Overland travelers currently in Ecuador