Overland Myanmar Travel
Currency to display:
- 1 Visiting Myanmar
- 2 Entering Myanmar with a Car or Motorbike
- 3 Driving in Myanmar
- 4 Gas price in Myanmar and Diesel price in Myanmar
- 5 Safety and Security Considerations
- 6 Camping in Myanmar
- 7 Navigation
- 8 Special Overland Travel interests
- 9 Vehicle Maintenance
- 10 Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Myanmar
- 11 References
- 12 Helpful External links
For a long time it was impossible to drive into or across Myanmar (also called Burma) with a foreign vehicle. As of 2013, that seems to be changing
Entering Myanmar with a Car or Motorbike
Correct as of: Feb 2013
(To check if you need a travel Visa for Myanmar, application instructions and fees see: Myanmar Visa online application at VisaHQ.com)
- A Carnet de Passage is NOT mandatory to enter enter Myanmar.
Process at border
Here is a detailed blog post from a crossing in April 2015: http://rightbeyondthehorizon.com/autoreise-myanmar/
A couple drove across from India to Thailand in early 2014 - their blog has lots of details http://epicycles.com/Truck%20Blog/2014-02-21/2014-02-21.php
A trip report from people in that crossing can be found here: (also in German) Welcome to Bhutan
They have said "Our trip trough Myanmar was organized by BrightView travel from Tin (email@example.com). He did all the paperwork and guided us trough Myanmar in 9 days and that was to short, if you go with more than 1 vehicle I suggest at least 2 weeks."
A discussion thread at Expedition Portal has details also Myanmar
Please update the information here if you know anything further.
Cost of entry
The following was posted to a discussion on expedition portal, and it gives a great idea on costs:
Myanmar Itinerary 2015
We are planning to cross into Myanmar from Thailand in April or May 2015.
I have a proposal for an itinerary for a 14 day tour and also some costs.
Anyone interested to join our group? At the moment we have one 4x4 truck and one motorbike.
- Day. 1 - ( Thailand ) Maesot - Myawaddy ( Myanmar ) - Hpaan. 160Km. ( Thanlwin Hotel )
- Day. 2 - Hpaan - Golden rock. 120Km. ( Sae sar )
- Day. 3 - Hpaan - Taungoo. 280Km. ( Mother's House )
- Day. 4 - Taungoo - Kalaw. 356Km. ( Pine Breeze )
- Day. 5 - Kalaw - Pindaya cave - Inle. 100Km.( Aungmingalar )
- Day. 6 - Boat Excursion on Inle lake. ( Aungmingalar )
- Day. 7 - Inle - Bagan. 320Km. ( New wave )
- Day. 8 - Visit Bagan temple. ( New wave )
- Day. 9 - Bagan - Amarapura - Mandalay. 256Km. ( Mann Myanmar )
- Day.10 - Mandalay city tour. ( Mann Myanmar )
- Day.11 - Manday - Sagai - Monywa. 160Km. ( Monywa Hotel )
- Day.12 - Monywa - Kalay. 200Km. ( Shin hone )
- Day.13 - Kalay - Tamu. 125Km. ( Shwe Oakar )
- Day.14 - Tamu ( Myanmar ) - Moreh ( India )
Tour cost - $7,980.00 USD
MTRD charges - Vehicle - $200.00 USD ( for One Vehicle )
Bike - $300.00 USD ( for 3 Bike )
Total $8,480.00 USD
Including in tour cost - Special Permission fees / Entrance fees / Hotel ( 3 Twin Room ) / Lassen officer fees / All kind of Tax / Insurance / Escort Vehicle And English speaking guide.
Exclude - Your Fuel / Meals and Personal Expense.
Permitted length of stay
It sounds like the visa for people is for 10 days.
Extension of stay
Describe the process to extend the permitted length of entry for the vehicle, if possible.
Storing a vehicle and temporarily leaving the country
Describe if/how a vehicle can be stored, and for how long.
Also mention if the owner / temporary importer can leave the country while the vehicle is in storage.
Exiting with a vehicle
Describe the paperwork requirements and process at the border to exit.
Driving in Myanmar
Recommended books for Overlanding in Myanmar
Travel insurance for Myanmar
Vehicle insurance requirements
Yes or No if insurance is mandatory, and what kind is acceptable.
Cost of vehicle insurance
State the price of insurance and a time period.
Where to purchase vehicle insurance
Describe where insurance can be purchased.
State the kind of driving licenses required. i.e. International Driving Permit.
Driving side of road
State the side of the road to drive on. i.e. Left or Right.
(also state if a vehicle with a steering wheel on the opposite side can be legally driven)
Mandatory items in vehicle
State any mandatory items that must be carried in the vehicle. (i.e. safety triangle, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, etc.)
General Road quality
Give a brief description of the general road quality. Mention if one way streets are common.
Briefly describe the overall quality & existence of road signs for directions and hazards.
List the frequency and approximate price of toll roads.
Bribery in Myanmar
Briefly describe how common bribery is and whether it should be expected, and the best way to deal with it.
describe the frequency of checkpoints (police or military and what to expect.
Traveling with pets
List the entry requirements and anything else required to travel with a pet.
Gas price in Myanmar and Diesel price in Myanmar
Last updated: (last updated date)
Currency and unit to display:
|Unleaded||$0.00 USD per Gallon (US)|
|Diesel||$0.00 USD per Gallon (US)|
Gas and Diesel Availability / Frequency
Briefly describe if gas shortages are known to occur.
Also state the approximate average distance between gas stations. This is a very rough estimate.
Gas and Diesel Quality
Discuss if gasoline / diesel considered "clean" or "dirty", and generally high or low quality.
State the sulfur content of diesel, if known.
Safety and Security Considerations
Driving at night
Discuss driving at night and if it should it be avoided. Mention why.
Discuss if vehicles can be parked on the street, if they are considered "safe" at night. If vehicles can not be parked on the street, list the other options that exist.
Special driving considerations
A List of special things to be careful of (i.e. Unsigned speed bumps, abnormal road rules, people or animals on the road, etc.).
List any roads that are not recommended to drive for safety or other security reasons.
Security advisories and information
- Country Specific Information - U.S. Department of State
- Travel Reports and Warnings - Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
- Travel advice by country - Foreign and Commonwealth office (U.K.)
- Travel Advice for Myanmar - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Camping in Myanmar
Describe if organized "pay" camping is common. List the facilities commonly found at these campsites.
List the approximate average price range of camping in organized campgrounds.
Also discuss the possibility of "wild" or "roadside" camping. How common is it? Is it considered safe, or a bad idea.
Camping guide books
List and link to books specifically for camping.
Describe if the regular tap water is safe to drink. If not, describe where safe water can be purchased and the approximate average price range.
Reise Know-How are amoung the best paper maps. Purchase paper maps before arriving in Myanmar
GPS Maps of Myanmar
Review different GPS companies, quality and coverage (Tomtom, Garmin, OSM, Tracks4Africa). (with links to each).
GPS co-ordinates for camping, propane, gas, repairs, etc. in Myanmar
- iOverlander is a website and iPhone application designed by Overlanders, for Overlanders. It contains GPS co-ordinates and reviews for camping, hotels, propane, water, mechanics, borders and much more.
Link to sites that have a list of GPS co-ordinates (or directions) for camping locations (including "wild" campsites), propane filling, gas stations, repair shops, places of interest, etc.
Special Overland Travel interests
List any special items / places that are popular with Overlanders
4x4s / Trucks
- Toyota Global Dealer Locator
- Land Rover International Dealer Locator
- Mercedes Benz International (select country on bottom right)
- Jeep International site locator
Add known good mechanics here.
Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Myanmar
Describe how a foreigner can buy a vehicle. List any difficulties or limitations on where the vehicle can be driven.
Describe how a foreigner can sell a foreign-plated vehicle, or list not possible.'
Links to the source of any information - blogs or discussion forums, etc.
Add any helpful external links here.