Overland Slovenia Travel
Currency to display:
- 1 Visiting Slovenia
- 2 Entering Slovenia with a Car or Motorbike
- 3 Driving in Slovenia
- 4 Gas price in Slovenia and Diesel price in Slovenia
- 5 Safety and Security Considerations
- 6 Camping in Slovenia
- 7 Navigation
- 8 Special Overland Travel interests
- 9 Vehicle Maintenance
- 10 Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Slovenia
- 11 References
- 12 Helpful External links
Give a brief overview of what it's like to visit. How easy is the border, how safe is the country, are there great things to see and do, etc.
Entering Slovenia with a Car or Motorbike
Correct as of: April 2015
(To check if you need a travel Visa for Slovenia, application instructions and fees see: Slovenia Visa online application at VisaHQ.com)
List the paperwork required to enter with a vehicle, including number of copies
Process at border
- If you enter Slovenia from Austria, Hungary or [[Italy], there is no border checkpoint, so no problem entering with a vehicle.
- If you enter from Croatia, you'll find a border checkpoint, where you will be asked for both the documents of the vehicles and yours.
Cost of entry
State the cost for a vehicle to enter
Permitted length of stay
State the permitted length of entry for the vehicle
Extension of stay
Describe the process to extend the permitted length of entry for the vehicle, if possible.
Storing a vehicle and temporarily leaving the country
Describe if/how a vehicle can be stored, and for how long.
Also mention if the owner / temporary importer can leave the country while the vehicle is in storage.
Exiting with a vehicle
Describe the paperwork requirements and process at the border to exit.
Driving in Slovenia
Recommended books for Overlanding in Slovenia
Travel insurance for Slovenia
World Nomads offer the most flexible Travel Insurance at the best prices for multi-country / multi-year trips. You can buy, extend and claim online, even after you've left home.
Vehicle insurance requirements
Yes or No if insurance is mandatory, and what kind is acceptable.
Cost of vehicle insurance
State the price of insurance and a time period.
Where to purchase vehicle insurance
Describe where insurance can be purchased.
International driving licence in addition to the original driving licence.
Driving side of road
Unknown if RHD vehicles can be driven in Slovenia.
Mandatory items in vehicle
- Safety Triangle
- Yellow jacket
- Set of replacement lights
- First aid kit
General Road quality
Roads are very good, mainly paved.
There are a lot of "forest roads" allowed to all vehicles, unpaved but clean.
Roads can reach up to 23% of gradient, especially in the Alps.
No problem regarding road signs, everything is well-indicated.
Toll roads are highways (Esat-west and North-south).
You have to buy a vignette (for 15 days/1 month/1 year), tolls are video-controled and the vignette is read by an automatic system when you enter the highway. Vignette can be found nearly on all the roads that lead into the country, immediately after the border.
Bribery in Slovenia
None to be expected.
None to be expected.
Traveling with pets
No problems known if you come from any European country, there are no border check-points so nobody will ask you anything.
Gas price in Slovenia and Diesel price in Slovenia
Last updated: April 2015
Currency and unit to display:
|Unleaded||€1.35 EUR per Liter|
|Diesel||€1.20 EUR per Liter|
Gas and Diesel Availability / Frequency
No problem finding gas, there are stations everywhere. Prices are the same no matter the name/brand of the station.
Gas and Diesel Quality
Very good quality for both diesel and gas.
Safety and Security Considerations
Driving at night
The country is safe and you can drive at night.
- Vehicle parking is no issue during the day nor is it at night if you do not plan to sleep in the vehicle.
- If you plan to sleep in the vehicle, you are not allowed to park anywhere else than on dedicated areas or campings.
Special driving considerations
- Nothing special to be considered. Slovenians are very polite and will take into consideration you are a foreigner and will ease your way.
- Just take into consideration that if a road is not allowed to a certain category of vehicles (length, weight, height etc.) there is always a good reason and you will be stuck if you try.
- Be careful when you enter a town, there may be small roads or limited in height where you have difficulties to pass through if you have a big vehicle.
Security advisories and information
- Country Specific Information - U.S. Department of State
- Travel Reports and Warnings - Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
- Travel advice by country - Foreign and Commonwealth office (U.K.)
- Travel Advice for Slovenia - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Camping in Slovenia
Be careful, wild cammping is NOT ALLOWED.
Fines are €300.00 EUR when you are fined into a non-specified camping-zone. You have to go to dedicated areas or campings. Campings can be quite expensive, about €20.00 EUR - €40.00 EUR a night (especially in the Alps), dedicated areas are around €8.00 EUR - €15.00 EUR a night.
Camping guide books
List and link to books specifically for camping.
No problem with water.
You can also drink water from lakes/rivers.
Reise Know-How are amoung the best paper maps. Purchase paper maps before arriving in Slovenia
GPS Maps of Slovenia
Review different GPS companies, quality and coverage (Tomtom, Garmin, OSM, Tracks4Africa). (with links to each).
GPS co-ordinates for camping, propane, gas, repairs, etc. in Slovenia
- iOverlander is a website and iPhone application designed by Overlanders, for Overlanders. It contains GPS co-ordinates and reviews for camping, hotels, propane, water, mechanics, borders and much more.
- Park4Night is a website and application were you may find a lot of places and coordinates to sleep by.
Link to sites that have a list of GPS co-ordinates (or directions) for camping locations (including "wild" campsites), propane filling, gas stations, repair shops, places of interest, etc.
Special Overland Travel interests
List any special items / places that are popular with Overlanders
4x4s / Trucks
- Toyota Global Dealer Locator
- Land Rover International Dealer Locator
- Mercedes Benz International (select country on bottom right)
- Jeep International site locator
Add known good mechanics here.
Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Slovenia
Describe how a foreigner can buy a vehicle. List any difficulties or limitations on where the vehicle can be driven.
Describe how a foreigner can sell a foreign-plated vehicle, or list not possible.'
Links to the source of any information - blogs or discussion forums, etc.
Helpful External links
Add any helpful external links here.
- Slovenia: Visa and Passport requirements | World Travel Guide
- Health Information for Travelers to Slovenia - Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- Slovenia travel guides at wikivoyage
- Slovenia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia