Overland Somalia Travel
Currency to display:
- 1 Visiting Somalia
- 2 Entering Somalia with a Car or Motorbike
- 3 Driving in Somalia
- 4 Gas price in Somalia and Diesel price in Somalia
- 5 Safety and Security Considerations
- 6 Camping in Somalia
- 7 Navigation
- 8 Special Overland Travel interests
- 9 Vehicle Maintenance
- 10 Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Somalia
- 11 References
- 12 Helpful External links
Give a brief overview of what it's like to visit. How easy is the border, how safe is the country, are there great things to see and do, etc.
Entering Somalia with a Car or Motorbike
Correct as of: (2017)
(To check if you need a travel Visa for Somalia, application instructions and fees see: Somalia Visa online application at VisaHQ.com)
- Visa on Arrival $60 per person for a Month.
- Keep copies of vehicle registration.
Process at border
- Visa on Arrival
- Leave a Copy of registration
- Recieve Entry Document
Cost of entry
Varies between entry points but will not exceed $100.
Permitted length of stay
- 1 month
Extension of stay
- 1 month extension
Storing a vehicle and temporarily leaving the country
- Main Hotels they usually have secure car parks, prices are negotiable
Exiting with a vehicle
- Need to show Entry document.
Driving in Somalia
Recommended books for Overlanding in Somalia
Travel insurance for Somalia
- Takaful Africa
Vehicle insurance requirements
Not for foreign cars but recommended
Cost of vehicle insurance
State the price of insurance and a time period.
Where to purchase vehicle insurance
- Takaful Africa contact them details on their website.
International Driving Licence Acceptable.
Driving side of road
- RHD vehicles can be driven as temporary imports in Somalia without problems. Many people have done it since late 2017.
Mandatory items in vehicle
safety triangle, first aid kit, fire extinguisher.
General Road quality
- Limited Tarmac mostly rough roads.
- Only on the recently built or renovated roads.
Bribery in Somalia
Usually at Checkpoints. $5 to $50 one time, build rapport you will get valuable information regarding the roads, safety and etc
Traveling with pets
Gas price in Somalia and Diesel price in Somalia
Last updated: (last updated date)
Currency and unit to display:
|Unleaded||$0.00 USD per Gallon (US)|
|Diesel||$0.00 USD per Gallon (US)|
Gas and Diesel Availability / Frequency
- Always Available and very cheap.
- Mostly Gas stations are located in cities and towns none outskirts.
Gas and Diesel Quality
Discuss if gasoline / diesel considered "clean" or "dirty", and generally high or low quality.
State the sulfur content of diesel, if known.
Safety and Security Considerations
Driving at night
- Dont drive at night
- Tinted windows are not Allowed.
- Toyota Land Cruiser Pickup is not allowed in government held areas and will be hijacked in other areas.
- Always carry a copy of your ID.
'* During daytime you can park outside but at night there are secure parking spots.
Special driving considerations
- More Common sense than rules.
- Never get into a road rage.
- Passenger buses are the most nuisance.
Security advisories and information
South Somalia is dangerous especially the border area with kenya but central and northern somalia are safe.
Camping in Somalia
Describe if organized "pay" camping is common. List the facilities commonly found at these campsites.
List the approximate average price range of camping in organized campgrounds.
Also discuss the possibility of "wild" or "roadside" camping. How common is it? Is it considered safe, or a bad idea.
Camping guide books
List and link to books specifically for camping.
- Bottled water.
- Google maps
Reise Know-How are amoung the best paper maps. Purchase paper maps before arriving in Somalia
GPS Maps of Somalia
Tracks4Africa are the undisputed best GPS maps for Africa.
Tracks4Africa is an SD Card for Garmin GPS, and contain Routable turn-by-turn maps with 809,000 kms of roads and over 129,000 points of interest.
GPS co-ordinates for camping, propane, gas, repairs, etc. in Somalia
- iOverlander is a website and iPhone application designed by Overlanders, for Overlanders. It contains GPS co-ordinates and reviews for camping, hotels, propane, water, mechanics, borders and much more.
Link to sites that have a list of GPS co-ordinates (or directions) for camping locations (including "wild" campsites), propane filling, gas stations, repair shops, places of interest, etc.
Special Overland Travel interests
List any special items / places that are popular with Overlanders
4x4s / Trucks
- Toyota Global Dealer Locator
- Land Rover International Dealer Locator
- Mercedes Benz International (select country on bottom right)
- Jeep International site locator
Add known good mechanics here.
Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Somalia
Describe how a foreigner can buy a vehicle. List any difficulties or limitations on where the vehicle can be driven.
Describe how a foreigner can sell a foreign-plated vehicle, or list not possible.'
Links to the source of any information - blogs or discussion forums, etc.
Add any helpful external links here.