Overland Swaziland Travel
Currency to display:
- 1 Visiting Swaziland
- 2 Entering Swaziland with a Car or Motorbike
- 3 Driving in Swaziland
- 4 Gas and Diesel price in Swaziland
- 5 Safety and Security Considerations
- 6 Camping in Swaziland
- 7 Navigation
- 8 Special Overland Travel interests
- 9 Vehicle Maintenance
- 10 Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Swaziland
- 11 References
- 12 Helpful External links
Swaziland is a beautiful little county packed with culture. It's well worth a visit.
Entering Swaziland with a Car or Motorbike
Correct as of: January 2018
Travel Visa for Swaziland
The travel visa for Swaziland is free for virtually all nationalities, and is given at the border - land or airport.
Duration is usually 30 days, though I think you could ask for longer and they would give it no problem.
- Passport of registered owner.
- Drivers license of registered owner.
- Original vehicle registration.
- (OPTIONAL) Carnet de Passage.
(no copies are required)
NOTE: If you are driving into any country in the South Africa Customs Union (SACU) (Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Swaziland) You do not require a Carnet de Passage. If you are shipping into or out of any of those countries, you absolutely must have a Carnet de Passage, no exceptions.
South Africa will issue a 6 month Temp Import Permit for the vehicle, which you can use in all the SACU countries. Once you have the 6 month one from South Africa, travel between all those countries is extremely simple - you don't even need to visit Customs or complete any vehicle-related paperwork as you drive into Swaziland.
Process at border
- Get yourself stamped in at Immigration.
- You do not need to go to Customs at all. Whatever paperwork you have from South Africa (Temp Import Permit or Carnet) is all you need - nothing needs to be stamped or even approved.
Cost of entry
All foreign vehicles must pay a <cost price="50" currency="ZAR" /> Road Tax.
This applies if you have a Carnet de Passage or not.
Permitted length of stay
The Temp Import Permit is usually valid for 6 months, and a Carnet stamp probably means it's permitted for 12 months total. This can possibly be extended with a permission letter from the AA, but likely it's just easier to leave the entire SACU and come back.
Extension of stay
Talk to Customs or the AA.
Storing a vehicle and temporarily leaving the country
Leaving the vehicle and returning is not a problem in Swaziland, though most people choose to do it in South Africa just to be closer to an International Airport. Make sure you are back and leave the SACU countries before the Temp Import Permit or your Carnet expires.
Exiting with a vehicle
- Get yourself stamped out at Immigration.
- If you are going back into South Africa, you keep all your Customs paperwork and don't get anything stamped (Temp Import Permit or Carnet)
- If you are going into Mozambique you need to go to Customs and either cancel your Temp Import Permit, or get your Carnet stamped out of the SACU.
Driving in Swaziland
Recommended books for Overlanding in Swaziland
Travel insurance for Swaziland
Vehicle insurance requirements
Unsure if it's required or included in the price of petrol/diesel. Nobody asks for it.
Cost of vehicle insurance
Where to purchase vehicle insurance
Anything should be fine.
Driving side of road
LHD vehicles can be driven in Swaziland without a problem.
Mandatory items in vehicle
You probably need two safety triangles, first aid kit, fire extinguisher and a bright yellow safety vest for every person in the vehicle. It's a good idea to have them to avoid a ticket or bribery attempts.
General Road quality
Swaziland has good tarmac roads for highways, and reasonable gravel roads for secondary. Potholes are somewhat common, keep your eyes open!
Road signs are frequent and generally good quality. Street names are hit or miss.
Bribery in Swaziland
Bribery a rarity. If you do get asked for money it is usually best not to pay and rather keep calm with a persistent smile. See the bribery tips page for advice.
Police checkpoints are very uncommon. Usually they are routine stops to check you have a license and proper registration. They are much more common at night. Police are generally friendly and the stops don't take more than a few minutes.
Traveling with pets
List the entry requirements and anything else required to travel with a pet.
Gas and Diesel price in Swaziland
Last updated: January 2018
Currency and unit to display:
|Unleaded||R12.39 ZAR per Liter|
|Diesel||R12.35 ZAR per Liter|
Gas and Diesel Availability / Frequency
Gas shortages are very rare, it should not be a problem.
Gas and Diesel Quality
Diesel is mostly available in 50ppm and 500ppm. Petrol quality is generally clean.
Safety and Security Considerations
Driving at night
Driving at night is common in Swaziland, but should be avoided if possible. Many vehicles drive without headlights. If driving at night, use extra caution.
As with most parts of the world, some areas are safer than others, use your instincts. Probably best not to park on the street overnight in towns. Find a secure lot.
Special driving considerations
Keep your eyes out for pothole and speed bumps - they sneak up on you!
Security advisories and information
- Country Specific Information - U.S. Department of State
- Travel Reports and Warnings - Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
- Travel advice by country - Foreign and Commonwealth office (U.K.)
- Travel Advice for Swaziland - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Camping in Swaziland
There are some official campsites scattered around the country, and some wilderness where you can wild camp. Even if locals are nearby they are friendly and welcoming, and you need not be worried.
Camping guide books
List and link to books specifically for camping.
Water from taps is safe to drink in many parts of the country. Of course, proper water filtration is the safest option.
Reise Know-How are among the best paper maps. Purchase paper maps before arriving in Swaziland
GPS Maps of Swaziland
Tracks4Africa are the undisputed best GPS maps for Africa.
Tracks4Africa is an SD Card for Garmin GPS, and contain Routable turn-by-turn maps with 809,000 kms of roads and over 129,000 points of interest.
GPS co-ordinates for camping, propane, gas, repairs, etc. in Swaziland
- iOverlander is a website and iPhone application designed by Overlanders, for Overlanders. It contains GPS co-ordinates and reviews for camping, hotels, propane, water, mechanics, borders and much more.
Link to sites that have a list of GPS co-ordinates (or directions) for camping locations (including "wild" campsites), propane filling, gas stations, repair shops, places of interest, etc.
Special Overland Travel interests
List any major Overlanding highlights here.
4x4s / Trucks
- Toyota Global Dealer Locator
- Land Rover International Dealer Locator
- Mercedes Benz International (select country on bottom right)
- Jeep International site locator
Add known good mechanics here.
Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Swaziland
It might just be easier in South Africa.
Describe how a foreigner can sell a foreign-plated vehicle, or list not possible.'
Links to the source of any information - blogs or discussion forums, etc.
Add any helpful external links here.