Overland Guyana Travel
Pan American Highway > Guyana
Currency to display:
- 1 Visiting Guyana
- 2 Entering Guyana with a Car or Motorbike
- 3 Driving in Guyana
- 4 Gas price in Guyana and Diesel price in Guyana
- 5 Safety and Security Considerations
- 6 Camping in Guyana
- 7 Navigation
- 8 Special Overland Travel interests
- 9 Vehicle Maintenance
- 10 Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Guyana
- 11 References
- 12 Helpful External links
Give a brief overview of what it's like to visit. How easy is the border, how safe is the country, are there great things to see and do, etc.
Entering Guyana with a Car or Motorbike
Correct as of: Jan 2015
(To check if you need a travel Visa for Guyana, application instructions and fees see: Guyana Visa online application at VisaHQ.com)
- Passport of registered owner.
- Drivers license of registered owner.
- Original vehicle registration.
- Proof of vehicle insurance.
(3 copies of each are required)
Oct 2013 @ Lethem required: 2 copies Passport, 2 copies front and back of Drivers license, two copies of vehicle title, two copies of insurance purchasable in Lethem. They allowed me to drive into Lethem for this. Insurance company made copies for me except for the insurance document which was too long and had to be copied at the Savanna Supermarket for a pittance.
Jan 2015, coming from Suriname: Insurance was checked on both sides of border. 'International' insurance paperwork sufficed. Oct 2018, coming from Suriname: together with insurance the international driving license was a must. EU driving license not enough.
Process at border
from Brazil, into Lethem: You follow the road from Brazil via a double roundabout, making you driving left hand automatically to enter the country. At customs, this is the first and only building you stop. At the counter you fill in a tourist card and receive a stamp in the passport. Lunchtime is from 12:00 to 14:00 p.m.
Jan 2015, coming from Suriname: Process on both sides of border was very slow. On Suriname side they opened the gate at 6am and closed it at 8am for the 9.30am ferry departure. There is a campsite next to the ferry terminal on the Suriname side, with cut grass, shelters, toilets and showers. Ferry payable in cash only, USD or SRD. Prices in USD were $15.00 USD per person and $40.00 USD for motorhome.
- Pay for ferry tickets at window and swap your passport for number tags.
- Wait inside for return of passports and ferry tickets (give number tickets back in exchange).
- Proceed to immigration for passport stamping.
- Go to customs to exit vehicle (this can also be done by one person while the other waits for passports and tickets (step 2).
On Guyana side (coming from Suriname): Join queue for foreigners. They will take passport and get you to sit down. Passport will be returned and you'll be directed to customs, keep asking directions. Have $1.00 USD (200 GYD) ready (exchange some on either side of border) to pay for car paperwork.
Leaving Guyana to Brazil (at Lethem): This process is very easy.
NB: Exiting to Brazil: if you are carrying a passport that needs a visa for Brazil (maybe your previous one expired) the Brazil Consulate in Lethem was closed as of Jan 2015 and people were being told to return to Georgetown for visas(!), they explained that due to a new need for fingerprinting they did not expect to again issue visas in Lethem in the near future.
Cost of entry
No entry fees
Permitted length of stay
- 90 days for person
- 2 weeks for vehicle import permit
Extension of stay
Describe the process to extend the permitted length of entry for the vehicle, if possible.
Storing a vehicle and temporarily leaving the country
Describe if/how a vehicle can be stored, and for how long.
Also mention if the owner / temporary importer can leave the country while the vehicle is in storage.
Exiting with a vehicle
The Federal Police cancel vehicle import permit. You will receive a document. In the office next door, they stamped your passport and keep your tourist card. Lunchtime is from 12:00 to 14:00 p.m.
Driving in Guyana
Recommended books for Overlanding in Guyana
Travel insurance for Guyana
Vehicle insurance requirements
Car insurance is mandatory.
It is possible to enter on an 'international' policy. In Guyana we (The Belgian and the Aussie) heard radio advertisements stating that a policy from Assuria could also be validated for cover in Suriname. Therefore, it is suggested that if you are buying insurance from Assuria and traveling in both countries, ask if you can have a policy that covers both Guyana and Suriname.
Cost of vehicle insurance
$14.00 USD for 1 month (minimum period)
Where to purchase vehicle insurance
• Insurance companies are in Lethem, 2.5 km away. You get permission without your vehicle import permit to drive to Lethem to arrange the insurance.
• On Saturday and Sunday, all insurance offices closed. Because we arrived on Saturday, we got permission to spend the weekend (without vehicle permit) in Lethem. During lunchtime the insurance offices closed.
Coming from Suriname, you can buy insurance in Neiuw Nickerie.
International Driving Permit was requested at the Lethem customs and I got the impression it was required.
Driving side of road
LHD vehicles can be driven in Guyana.
Mandatory items in vehicle
State any mandatory items that must be carried in the vehicle. (i.e. safety triangle, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, etc.)
General Road quality
It's wonderful to be in a south American country with so few speed bumps! Roads are generally good. Then dirt road from Linden to Lethem was good as of Jan 2103, but could be slippery if wet or boggy in parts if very wet.
Going from Suriname border to Georgetown there were signs indicating the direction to travel. Leaving Georgetown to Linden there aren't any signs giving directions, and the GPS wasn't helpful. Taxi drivers will point you the right way.
Jan 2015 . Coming from Georgetown in direction of either border (Brazil or Suriname) you will be asked to pay tolls for Bridges, roads, ferries but not when you travel towards Georgetown. This is handy if you don't yet have GYD. Tolls were (to be paid in GYD): Georgetown to Lethem: Linden bridge $0.40 USD, Toll road through private forest $4.83 USD, Ferry $33.78 USD. Ferry ticket is supposed to be pre-purchased in Georgetown or Linden at MMC office. We were told this could be found in Linden at Western Union, Bill Express, and Nigels Supermarket. If you haven't pre-purchased a ticket hope that the man is feeling kind and will sell you a ticket there (he did for the Belgium and the Aussie). He did ask for a tip for doing this. Georgetown to Suriname border: There is a toll on the bridge at New Amsterdam (price not known). Note that the pontoon bridge on the Linden-Lethem road is free northbound.
Bribery in Guyana
Briefly describe how common bribery is and whether it should be expected, and the best way to deal with it.
describe the frequency of checkpoints (police or military and what to expect.
Traveling with pets
Entered Guyana from Brazil at Lethem. No one asked about pets or inspected vehicle. The agriculture desk was unstaffed. Update December 2019 itsnotaslowcaritsafasthouse. If you have dogs you must provide documentation to “someone” at the agriculture desk. Your dog will have to be scanned for their chip. Provide shot records and animal passport if you have one. You will have to pay a fee and drop off the completed form with the livestock authority in Georgetown.
Gas price in Guyana and Diesel price in Guyana
Currency and unit to display:
Modify the table below as required.
|Regular (87)||$0.00 USD per Gallon (US)|
|Super (88)||$0.00 USD per Gallon (US)|
|Premium (90)||$0.00 USD per Gallon (US)|
|Ultra (95)||$0.00 USD per Gallon (US)|
|Diesel||$5.00 USD per Gallon (US)|
Link to external websites with price & quality information, if available.
Gas and Diesel Availability / Frequency
Fuel was generally available throughout the country. Traveling from Linden to Lethem you could buy fuel half way, although the price was higher. Note that if you are traveling from Lethem into Brazil there is no fuel available until Boa Vista (Brazil), so you may need to purchased fuel in Lethem.
Briefly describe if gas shortages are known to occur.
Also state the approximate average distance between gas stations. This is a very rough estimate.
Gas and Diesel Quality
Discuss if gasoline / diesel considered "clean" or "dirty", and generally high or low quality.
State the sulfur content of diesel, if known.
Safety and Security Considerations
Driving at night
Discuss driving at night and if it should it be avoided. Mention why.
Georgetown is considered an unsafe city. We (the Belgian and the Aussie) asked permission to park and sleep in the vehicle in the guarded parking of Pegasus Hotel. They allowed this, but as it is provided free it is advisable to spend some money in the restaurant/bar. From the Pegasus Hotel we could take an inexpensive taxi to sights or walk into the town center.
Special driving considerations
A List of special things to be careful of (i.e. Unsigned speed bumps, abnormal road rules, people or animals on the road, etc.).
List any roads that are not recommended to drive for safety or other security reasons.
Security advisories and information
- Country Specific Information - U.S. Department of State
- Travel Reports and Warnings - Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
- Travel advice by country - Foreign and Commonwealth office (U.K.)
- Travel Advice for Guyana - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Camping in Guyana
The only paid camping found in Guyana was at Oasis Lodge at Annai (on the Linden-Lethem road). It was $4.83 USD per person per night with showers and toilets and (in Jan 2015) fresh mangoes from trees.
Street camping was fine in Urban Areas, or outside the guesthouse before the Ferry heading to Lethem.
Camping is also possible in some Amerindian Villages, with their permission. See Special Overland Travel Interests below.
Camping guide books
List and link to books specifically for camping.
Describe if the regular tap water is safe to drink. If not, describe where safe water can be purchased and the approximate average price range.
Reise Know-How are among the best paper maps. Purchase paper maps before arriving in Guyana
The above map by International Travel Maps was found to be very wrong in respect of the route from Georgetown to Lethem.
GPS Maps of Guyana
The Garmin South America map (purchasable) wasn't very useful for Guyana.
GPS co-ordinates for camping, propane, gas, repairs, etc. in Guyana
- iOverlander is a website and iPhone application designed by Overlanders, for Overlanders. It contains GPS co-ordinates and reviews for camping, hotels, propane, water, mechanics, borders and much more.
- We camped at "58" on the Linden-Lethem road. It was about 80% of the way from Lethem. Free, safe, with free shower and clean bathrooms and a restaurant that serves food. Gas also available. Good place to spend the night coming from Lethem. Left Lethem 0600 arrived here at 1730.
Special Overland Travel interests
- The only ATMs accepting international cards were Scotiabank: Found in Georgetown (and conveniently there is one at Pegasus Hotel (see parking information)), and New Amsterdam. Maximum withdrawal is GYD30000 ($14.48 USD), and the machines charge a hefty fee of GYD1048($5.06 USD).
- Official Taxi's in Georgetown have number plates commencing with 'H'.
- No real coffee could be found at supermarkets in Guyana.
- Guyana is famous for a 15 year old rum that has been winning best rum in the world for 15 years, as the Hotel Pegasus (Georgetown) will allow you to park and stay in their guarded parking (for free), the bar there is a good place to try it.
- We (The Belgian and the Aussie) camped in the Amerindian village of Nappi in the Rupununi area. Permission should be requested from the Village captain to pass through or stay in an Amerindian village. We didn't know what to do (their isn't any signs) so we parked at the sports field and the captain came to us. He collected GYD1000 ($4.83 USD) and a donation for an upcoming event. September is Amerindian month and recommended as a time to visit. Ask Shirley at the Souvenir shop next to the airfield in Lethem if you'd like to know more, or just turn up like we did.
4x4s / Trucks
- Toyota Global Dealer Locator
- Land Rover International Dealer Locator
- Mercedes Benz International (select country on bottom right)
- Jeep International site locator
Add known good mechanics here.
Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Guyana
Describe how a foreigner can buy a vehicle. List any difficulties or limitations on where the vehicle can be driven.
Describe how a foreigner can sell a foreign-plated vehicle, or list not possible.'
Links to the source of any information - blogs or discussion forums, etc.
Add any helpful external links here.