Overland Suriname Travel
Pan American Highway > Suriname
Currency to display:
- 1 Visiting Suriname
- 2 Entering Suriname with a Car or Motorbike
- 3 Driving in Suriname
- 4 Gas price in Suriname and Diesel price in Suriname
- 5 Safety and Security Considerations
- 6 Camping in Suriname
- 7 Navigation
- 8 Special Overland Travel interests
- 9 Vehicle Maintenance
- 10 Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Suriname
- 11 References
- 12 Helpful External links
Suriname is part of the Guyanas, and you are likely to overland all 3 of the Guyanas if you choose to come this way. The Guyanas don't receive many overlanders and as such these countries don't have much facility for overlanders. Border crossing into and out of Suriname are easy but patience may be required. Suriname is mostly forest and swamp. Enjoy the great outdoors but be careful not to drive off the tar and into a bog. No special vehicles are needed to travel the Guyanas.
Entering Suriname with a Car or Motorbike
Correct as of: March 2013
(To check if you need a travel Visa for Suriname, application instructions and fees see: Suriname Visa online application at VisaHQ.com)
- Passport of registered owner.
- Drivers license of registered owner.
- Original vehicle registration.
- Proof of vehicle insurance.
- Visa / Tourist Card
Process at border
- Entering the other side of the river with the ferry, you first go to immigration.
- You have to fill in a tourist card and get a stamp for 1 month.
- Don’t forget the arrange your Visa/Tourist Card in Georgetown (Embassy of the Republic Suriname, Crown Street in Georgetown) or Cayenne (Avenue Leopold Héder)
- You need a car insurance for Suriname.
Jan 2015, leaving Suriname to Guyana: Process on both sides of border was very slow. On Suriname side they opened the gate at 6am and closed it at 8am for the 9.30am ferry departure. There is a campsite next to the ferry terminal on the Suriname side, with cut grass, shelters, toilets and showers.
Ferry is payable in cash only, USD or SRD. Prices in $15.00 USD per person and $40.00 USD for motorhome.
- Pay for ferry tickets at window and swap your passport for number tags.
- Wait inside for return of passports and ferry tickets (give number tickets back in exchange).
- Proceed to immigration for passport stamping.
- Go to customs to exit vehicle (this can also be done by one person while the other waits for passports and tickets (step 2).
on Guyana side (coming from Suriname): Join queue for foreigners. They will take your passports and get you to sit down. Passport will be returned and you'll be directed to customs, keep asking directions. Have GYD 200 ready (exchange some on either side of border) to pay for car paperwork.
Cost of entry
No entry fees
Permitted length of stay
- 1 month for person
- 1 month for vehicle import permit
- Tourist card is valid for 3 months, Visa may be valid 1, 2 or 3 months, single or multiple entry.
Extension of stay
Describe the process to extend the permitted length of entry for the vehicle, if possible.
Storing a vehicle and temporarily leaving the country
Describe if/how a vehicle can be stored, and for how long.
Also mention if the owner / temporary importer can leave the country while the vehicle is in storage.
Exiting with a vehicle
- Custom and immigration is in the same building near the ferry.
- First you have to go to the police. He will sign your car information in his book.
- Then you have to drive your car near the building on the parking lot.
- We paid $40.00 USD for the car and $10.00 USD per person.
- Next step is the exit stamp in your passport and customs want your vehicle import permit.
Driving in Suriname
Recommended books for Overlanding in Suriname
Travel insurance for Suriname
Vehicle insurance requirements
Car insurance is mandatory.
In Guyana (neighboring country) radio advertisements indicated that a policy from Assuria could cover both Suriname and Guyana, it is recommended that you request this if you are traveling both countries (Purchasing in Albina (Suriname) or Letham (Guyana).
Cost of vehicle insurance
$1.00 USD per day.
Where to purchase vehicle insurance
Coming from French Guyana:
Insurance can be purchased on arrival in Albina, customs will give directions.
Coming from Guyana: In Corriverton (last town for the ferry) are several insurance companies.
We purchased a policy to cover Suriname in Lethem, Guyana at the same time as purchasing Guyanese insurance. It was about the same price, so a good deal and much easier to buy two insurances in one go.
An international Drivers Permit is required in Suriname. Officially this only applies after 2 weeks stay, but we were asked to show an IDL at the border.
Driving side of road
LHD vehicles can be driven in Suriname.
Mandatory items in vehicle
State any mandatory items that must be carried in the vehicle. (i.e. safety triangle, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, etc.)
General Road quality
Give a brief description of the general road quality. Mention if one way streets are common.
Briefly describe the overall quality & existence of road signs for directions and hazards.
List the frequency and approximate price of toll roads.
Bribery in Suriname
Do not expect bribery on roads in Suriname.
describe the frequency of checkpoints (police or military and what to expect.
Traveling with pets
List the entry requirements and anything else required to travel with a pet.
Gas price in Suriname and Diesel price in Suriname
Last updated: (last updated date)
Fuel prices in Suriname are less expensive than in French Guiana, but it is less again in Guyana. All fuel stations expect payment in cash.
Currency and unit to display:
Modify the table below as required.
|Regular (87)||$0.00 USD per Gallon (US)|
|Super (88)||$0.00 USD per Gallon (US)|
|Premium (90)||$0.00 USD per Gallon (US)|
|Ultra (95)||$0.00 USD per Gallon (US)|
|Diesel||$0.00 USD per Gallon (US)|
Link to external websites with price & quality information, if available.
Gas and Diesel Availability / Frequency
Briefly describe if gas shortages are known to occur.
Also state the approximate average distance between gas stations. This is a very rough estimate.
Gas and Diesel Quality
Discuss if gasoline / diesel considered "clean" or "dirty", and generally high or low quality.
State the sulfur content of diesel, if known.
Safety and Security Considerations
Driving at night
Discuss driving at night and if it should it be avoided. Mention why.
Discuss if vehicles can be parked on the street, if they are considered "safe" at night. If vehicles can not be parked on the street, list the other options that exist.
Special driving considerations
A List of special things to be careful of (i.e. Unsigned speed bumps, abnormal road rules, people or animals on the road, etc.).
List any roads that are not recommended to drive for safety or other security reasons.
Security advisories and information
- Country Specific Information - U.S. Department of State
- Travel Reports and Warnings - Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
- Travel advice by country - Foreign and Commonwealth office (U.K.)
- Travel Advice for Suriname - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Camping in Suriname
- At Domburg (inland on the river from Paramaribo) there is a yacht marina "Domburg Waterkant Marina" that will allow overlanders to camp riverside. Has toilets, showers, laundry, wifi, water, drinking water from a tap, gas service, bar & restaurant. Electricity may be available. www.marinasuriname.com €8.50 EUR per vehicle per day. Discounted for longer stays, turn in behind the police station. N05.70167, W055.08186
- Brownsburg Forest allows overlanders to stay overnight. Shower, toilet, electricity, View, and sometimes visiting monkeys. $15.00 USD per night.
- Neuw Amsterdam: Overlanders stay between the Fort and the Police Station (on the grass/ parking area)
Camping guide books
List and link to books specifically for camping.
Describe if the regular tap water is safe to drink. If not, describe where safe water can be purchased and the approximate average price range.
Reise Know-How are amoung the best paper maps. Purchase paper maps before arriving in Suriname
GPS Maps of Suriname
Review different GPS companies, quality and coverage (Tomtom, Garmin, OSM, Tracks4Africa). (with links to each).
GPS co-ordinates for camping, propane, gas, repairs, etc. in Suriname
- iOverlander is a website and iPhone application designed by Overlanders, for Overlanders. It contains GPS co-ordinates and reviews for camping, hotels, propane, water, mechanics, borders and much more.
Link to sites that have a list of GPS co-ordinates (or directions) for camping locations (including "wild" campsites), propane filling, gas stations, repair shops, places of interest, etc.
Special Overland Travel interests
- If you wish to get a phone chip in Suriname the Digicel chip is easily obtained and you can get a data package for internet access (eg, in Dec 2014 it was $8.42 USD for 2048MB of data to use in 7 days). There may be other options too.
- The Suriname government subsidises the price of mosquito repellent, and it's less expensive and better quality then most of what you can find in South America (although Guyana also has a good spray on repellent called "Shoo"). Stock up on mosquito repellant "Tropical Bush" and coils in Suriname.
4x4s / Trucks
- Toyota Global Dealer Locator
- Land Rover International Dealer Locator
- Mercedes Benz International (select country on bottom right)
- Jeep International site locator
Add known good mechanics here.
Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Suriname
Describe how a foreigner can buy a vehicle. List any difficulties or limitations on where the vehicle can be driven.
Describe how a foreigner can sell a foreign-plated vehicle, or list not possible.'
Links to the source of any information - blogs or discussion forums, etc.
Add any helpful external links here.