Overland Togo Travel
West Africa > Togo
Currency to display:
- 1 Visiting Togo
- 2 Entering Togo with a Car or Motorbike
- 3 Driving in Togo
- 4 Gas and Diesel price in Togo
- 5 Safety and Security Considerations
- 6 Camping in Togo
- 7 Navigation
- 8 Special Overland Travel interests
- 9 Vehicle Maintenance
- 10 Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Togo
- 11 References
- 12 Helpful External links
Togo is a fantastic little countries nestled in the heart of West Africa. Cheaper and cleaner than surrounding countries, many people list it as a favourite.
Entering Togo with a Car or Motorbike
Correct as of: March 2017
Travel Visa for Togo
Togo is one of the few countries you can get the visa at the border, no worries. Price is CFA10,000.00 XOF for one week, and can extended out to a month in Lomé for free very easily. You can't get more than the week at the border.
- Passport of registered owner.
- Drivers license of registered owner.
- Original vehicle registration.
- Proof of vehicle insurance - they might not ask for it, but it’s better to have it.
- (OPTIONAL) Carnet de Passage
(no copies are required)
Process at border
- Get yourself stamped in at immigration.
- Go to Duane to get a temporary import for the vehicle. Using the vehicle registration the officer will write out a Passavant, valid for one month.
- If you have a Carnet de Passage, you don't need the Passavant.
Cost of entry
The Passavant officially costs CFA5,000.00 XOF, entry will be free with a Carnet de Passage
Permitted length of stay
Extension of stay
Storing a vehicle and temporarily leaving the country
Describe if/how a vehicle can be stored, and for how long.
Also mention if the owner / temporary importer can leave the country while the vehicle is in storage.
Exiting with a vehicle
- Hand in your Passavant to Duane.
- Get yourself stamped out at immigration.
All should be free, do not pay for this.
Driving in Togo
Recommended books for Overlanding in Togo
Travel insurance for Togo
Vehicle insurance requirements
Liability insurance is required, police might ask to see it.
If you travel through more west African countries get a 'Carte Brun' which is valid in most west African countries at no extra cost.
Cost of vehicle insurance
Expect to pay CFA10,000.00 XOF to CFA20,000.00 XOF per vehicle per month, depending on engine size and vehicle age (newer costs more)
Where to purchase vehicle insurance
Unknown within Togo
Anything from your home country will be accepted.
Driving side of road
RHD vehicles are allowed but ensure you have correct paperwork, because it’s a good chance for bribery.
Mandatory items in vehicle
You need two safety triangles, first aid kit, and fire extinguisher.
General Road quality
Main highways are good pavement, without potholes, especially those recently built.
Minor dirt roads are not so bad by West African standards.
Always watch out for potholes on sealed roads - they can be HUGE, and hitting them fast will be very, very bad. Roads and traffic in Lomé are sane and sensible.
Distances to the next major town are usually shown on the side of highways, and big intersections sometimes have signs.
Tolls are sporadically on the main North-South highway, and sometimes small ones. The cost is usually CFA300.00 XOF. The new sections of the North-South highway are very good quality and worth paying for.
Bribery in Togo
Bribery can happen, so keep your wits about you. Be polite, and don’t pay. See the bribery tips page for general advice.
There are many checkpoints and random stops where Police will check all your paperwork. Don't pay.
Traveling with pets
List the entry requirements and anything else required to travel with a pet.
Gas and Diesel price in Togo
Last updated: March 2017
Currency and unit to display:
|Unleaded||CFA433.00 XOF per Liter|
|Diesel||CFA435.00 XOF per Liter|
Gas and Diesel Availability / Frequency
All towns have stations, all stations always have gasoline and diesel. Both are also available in small containers on the side of the road. Quality is likely very bad when bought like that.
Gas and Diesel Quality
Seemed to be no problem with quality.
Safety and Security Considerations
Driving at night
Driving at night is not recommended due to hazards on the road, vehicles without lights and extremely bad roads.
Vehicles seem safe enough on the street during the day, secure overnight parking is recommended in the cities.
Special driving considerations
As in all of West Africa, expect hazards on the road around every turn - animals, children, pot holes and speed bumps!
Security advisories and information
- Country Specific Information - U.S. Department of State
- Travel Reports and Warnings - Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
- Travel advice by country - Foreign and Commonwealth office (U.K.)
- Travel Advice for Togo - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Camping in Togo
There are a few campsites in Togo, and a few hotels allow camping.
Expect to pay between CFA2,000.00 XOF and CFA5,000.00 XOF per person per night.
Wildcamping is very possible in Togo, especially in rural areas. Try to camp away from villages unless you don't mind lot of attention and lot of demand for ‘Cadeaux’ which means gift. If you do camp in a town, ask the Chief of the village for permission first (he will always say yes).
Camping guide books
List and link to books specifically for camping.
Drinking water is generally not considered safe to drink for visitors who are not used to it.
Reise Know-How are among the best paper maps. Purchase paper maps before arriving in Togo
GPS Maps of Togo
- Garmin Open Street Maps has excellent coverage of all roads - highways and cities.
- Tracks4Africa is an SD Card for Garmin GPS, and contain Routable turn-by-turn maps with 809,000 kms of roads and over 129,000 points of interest.
GPS co-ordinates for camping, propane, gas, repairs, etc. in Togo
- iOverlander is a website and iPhone application designed by Overlanders, for Overlanders. It contains GPS co-ordinates and reviews for camping, hotels, propane, water, mechanics, borders and much more.
Link to sites that have a list of GPS co-ordinates (or directions) for camping locations (including "wild" campsites), propane filling, gas stations, repair shops, places of interest, etc.
Special Overland Travel interests
List any special items / places that are popular with Overlanders
4x4s / Trucks
- Toyota Global Dealer Locator
- Land Rover International Dealer Locator
- Mercedes Benz International (select country on bottom right)
- Jeep International site locator
[http:/www.ktm-togo.com/Tony Togo] - mechanic in Lomé that specializes in motorbikes (KTM, BMW, etc.) and will work on overland 4x4s too. Tony is from Europe, and his work is up to that standard.
Buy or sell a car or motorbike in Togo
Describe how a foreigner can buy a vehicle. List any difficulties or limitations on where the vehicle can be driven.
Describe how a foreigner can sell a foreign-plated vehicle, or list not possible.'
Links to the source of any information - blogs or discussion forums, etc.
Add any helpful external links here.