User talk:Selfie City
Welcome to my user talk page. If you have any questions, please add them below the line. Selfie City (talk) 06:06, 27 December 2018 (GMT-13)
- Hi again! A couple of things I have noticed that I would like to please point out:
1. In my experience the petrol and diesel prices from sites like globalpetrolprices or mytravelcost are not accurate. In more than 30 countries I've been through in the last few years, it's always 10-30% wrong. I'd rather wait until people who have been to the country in question put in real-life experience data.
2. With the "Visiting PAGENAME" section at the top of each country - I'd like this to be overland focused. i.e. we don't want to just describe what the country is or where it is, or some of the major "facts" about the country. People can find all that stuff on other wikis, guidebooks or from google. I'd like WO to be really Overland focused, and contain the type of information that isn't in those other places - i.e. what about the given country makes it alluring for Overlanders, and is it worth a visit? I think if you have not personally overlanded in said country, it's not really worth updating this section with "generic" travel info that someone can read on the first page of a lonely planet, or wikivoyage.
3. As an extension of the above, I don't want to fill up WO with pages and pages of stuff that can be found on other websites. That means it will be harder to find the really key info for overlanders, and it means the burden to keep all that "stuff" updated and correct is bigger. My rule of thumb is that if it's in another wiki already, don't put it in WO. i.e. currencies, exchange rates, languages, etc. etc. That's all basic travel stuff that WO doesn't aim to document.
4. Thanks for all your contributions, I really appreciate it!
Does that makes sense? Dan (talk) 11:52, 1 January 2019 (GMT-13)
- Sure, got it, good advice. When it comes to the travel cost websites, many articles already used mytravelcost as a source, so I assumed it was okay to cite sources for gasoline information in that way. Now I know, I won’t do that anymore.
- Would you like me to revert my edits to some of the visiting sections? Wouldn’t be too much work for me, just say what you want and I will adjust accordingly. --Selfie City (talk) (contributions) 13:19, 1 January 2019 (GMT-13)
- Yes, definitely some more work I could do on the United States of America article, since that's where I've been for most of my life. I'll focus on perhaps adding some more information about camping/overland routes there, especially in the West. --Selfie City (talk) (contributions) 01:14, 2 January 2019 (GMT-13)
Hi Again. I reverted your edits to the "list of countries" because I don't feel they really add anything useful for the Global Overlanding Community. Remember, this site is all about the information people need to ride or drive their personal vehicle around the world. Technicalities about what is or isn't a country, or strange details about islands is not really the point, and it creates more clutter than the value it adds. Thanks. -Dan (talk) 11:23, 8 April 2019 (GMT-13)
- Okay, I understand. Thanks for explaining! --Selfie City (talk) (contributions) 05:16, 9 April 2019 (GMT-13)